Saturday, November 21, 2015

Quilting my Unexpected Tablerunner

I was so excited to quilt my table runner.  I quilt a lot of show quilts and they take me a long time.  With this quilt I wanted to try something modern and fun and I wanted to use feathers as they are my favorite!  I also wanted to incorporate more straight lines to separate large open areas as that seems to be a recent trend in free motion quilting.

I quilted some feathers coming in from the edge of the block.  I did this in the two outer blocks on the left and right sides.

To add more interest I quilted feathers coming from the inside of the block to the outside.  I did this in the center block.


The view from the back.

The view from the back.

Here is the tablerunner once all the feathers have been completed.  As you can see, I divided the larger triangles into three smaller triangles to add interest to the quilt.  I drew the lines with the help of the 30 degree mark on my ruler and then added a 1/4 inch outline to the outside of those lines.  Inside them I quilted a feather.  Since I also quilted the inside of the blocks with a feather, I decided that the remaining unquilted areas needed something completely different.  

Here's the back so far.  I decided not to try to quilt feathers in the very outside corners.  Instead, I decided to trim the outside of the tablerunner to match that angle.

I love machine quilting!
Suzy



No comments:

Post a Comment