Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Blog Quilt #2 is done!

I finally finished quilting Blog Quilt #2 this weekend!  I really like the way it turned out.  The rows of straight feathers making a background fill are interesting and create a lot of texture.  Hobbs wool batting is inside the quilt and it definitely makes the feathers pop.


One thing I learned in making this quilt is to be careful about your backing. The backing on this quilt is a solid yellow, but it's very thick and the stitches didn't always sink into the fabric like I wanted them to.  Sometimes they just floated on the surface.

This quilt also marks the first time that I did a circular binding.  I used a single fold  bias binding and it turned out quite well.  I marked a line where I wanted the edge of the binding fabric to be, then followed this line in sewing it on to the quilt.  Then I trimmed the quilt to a circle and sewed the binding to the back.  It needs blocking to make it lay flat and it needs to be washed because I used blue wash-out marker.


Overall, I am really happy with this quilt, but now I have to figure out how to hang it!  Hmmm.........

And, oddly enough, the more I stare at the outer quilting, the more it starts to look like carpet padding.  LOL.

Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment