Saturday, January 23, 2016

Fusible Test...How did it Quilt?

I started this test last week with 6 different kind of fusible.  One for each flower.  Here's what I've learned so far:

Steam-a-Seam 2 Lite and Heat and Bond Featherlite are the least stiff.  I like the Steam-a-Seam because you can stick it on the background and the fabrics stay in place.

When quilting, I didn't notice a big different in it being easier to quilt around one fusible or another.  All six stuck well for me this round.  I followed the package directions for each product.  That being said, I have had trouble with Heat and Bond not sticking in the past.

If you want more specifics about the first part of this test click here.

Someone was also asking me about whether they adhered well and if they were fraying.  I just took a careful look and none of the fabrics are fraying, they all adhered well, and I didn't have any trouble with them lifting while I was sewing.  I did use stabilizer behind all the flowers.

I used a design from Christina Cameli's Step-by-Step Free-Motion Quilting for the background fill above the planter and simple swirls for below the planter.    I used a slightly off color tan so you could see the quilting.  This is one of my favorite things to do.  Why do all that work if you can't see it when your're done?

Next, I had to pick a fabric for binding.  I like to use color if at all possible for bindings because I think it adds a nice frame.


Brown Binding?  Too dark....


Dark peach binding, yummy.  Light peach binding, too pale.  It kind of clashes with the background fabric.

\

Green binding...it makes the stem and leaves stand out, which is not what I want.

Dark peach it is.  And here is the finished table runner!

\

Do you have any favorite fusibles?  Why?  I'd love to know!

Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment