Saturday, May 28, 2016

How to Quilt Double Bubble

I fully intended to shoot a video of how to do this, however it being two weeks before the end of the school year my teacher self just didn't have the time!  So pictures will have to suffice for now.


I used this "double bubble" stitch on my Playful Pinwheels project for Island Batik Ambassadors.  I believe it is an original fill pattern, but who knows, it may be out there somewhere.  Here is how I stitched it.

Step One:  Stitch a 1 to 1 1/2 inch circle.  I started at the top where I put the dot.  Then stitch two bubbles inside the dot.



Step Two:  Stitch two circles around the entire circle starting and stopping at the dot again.  You can do more circles if you need to switch direction or fill a little extras space.  Two is simply a guideline.  This particular drawing is a little oval shaped, but as you add more circles a little inconsistency here and there won't matter.


Step Three.  Back stitch over a part of your last circle and then start over at step one.


Continue to repeat steps one through three adding more and more circles:


Sometimes you won't be able to make a full circle because the pattern will run off the quilt or into a different color fabric.  In this case you either have to back track over your stitches back to the dot or stitch along the edge of the quilt/fabric as you see below.


Happy Quilting and Happy Memorial Day!  Don't forget to visit my Machine Applique Adventures Facebook Group.
Suzy




7 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for the tutorial! It looks gorgeous on your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE your double bubble. Thank you for sharing how you did it with us. What a great filler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice fill design. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous quilting! Thanks for sharing how you did it - looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing....looks really great and I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always love new fillers. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete